The term curriculum conveys many things to many people. Perceptions of the term may vary since curriculum encompasses more than a simple definition. Curriculum is a key element in the educational process; its scope is extremely broad, and it touches virtually everyone who is involved with teaching and learning.
Accordingly, an exemplary curriculum guide is a tool that assists in planning and implementing a high quality instructional program. A comprehensive curriculum:
- is a set of overarching goals that guide an entire program.
- establishes sequences both within and between levels and assures a coherent and articulated progression from grade to grade.
- outlines a basic framework for what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and how to determine if it has been achieved.
- allows for flexibility and encourages experimentation and innovation within an overall structure.
- promotes interdisciplinary approaches and the integration of curricula when appropriate.
- suggests methods of assessing the achievement of the program’s goals and objectives.